Volunteers in hospice may find it personally gratifying, intellectually stimulating, and emotionally meaningful to assist those in need at such a critical point in their lives. Volunteers are important members of the interdisciplinary team. They are specially trained to provide comfort to patients and families during the final stages of life.
While volunteer opportunities can vary greatly from one hospice agency to another, all hospices strive to constructively utilize the time and talents of those who answer the call to serve. Some volunteers choose to donate professional skills or specialized expertise, but most are just people who have a genuine passion to serve the community.
Please contact Savior Hospice for more details on specific needs. Here are some examples of opportunities available for hospice volunteers:
- Support for patients. This can include visiting, reading, taking walks, writing letters, bringing in music, supervising visits with pets, massage therapy for volunteers with the necessary skills.
- Respite and support for family members. Volunteers can assist with shopping or household maintenance, or allow family caregivers the opportunity to take care of necessary errands and get some time away from the house.
- Animal care assistance. Volunteers can make invaluable contributions with family pet care.
- Bereavement support programs. Hospice volunteers work closely with the hospice’s professional bereavement staff in duties that range from assisting as a support group facilitator to helping with mailings to clients and families.
- Event and administrative work. A volunteer with clerical skills can serve a hospice by helping in the office with simple administrative duties.
* To further our commitment to providing excellent care and to ensure that all volunteers are comfortable in their role, Savior Hospice requires all volunteers to complete an in-person orientation program as well as continuing education. Savior Hospice performs a mandatory criminal background check and multi-panel interview for each applicant.